The Continuum of Learning is a partnership formed by the Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln, Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce, United Way of Central Illinois, and Center for State Policy and Leadership on the Springfield Campus of the University of Illinois. Leaders of each of these four organizations and educational leaders in the community serve on a coordinating council that guides and oversees the work of the Continuum of Learning.
The purpose of the Continuum is to promote policies, programs, practices, and public attitudes that ensure: all young children in our community are ready to learn; all young adults in our community are ready to enter the world of work; and all residents are ready to succeed because they have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge.
The Continuum partnership is guided by five core aspirations that it believes everyone should endorse:
- To have every child ready for kindergarten
- To have every K-5 student performing at or above grade level
- To have every high school student graduate with a plan for the future
- To increase postsecondary educational attainment
- To have all residents of the county achieve their highest employment potential as a result of the learning they have acquired
The four partner organizations and other members of the Continuum Coordinating Council use their resources and relationships to build broad and deep support within the community for these five aspirations and the actions necessary to realize them.